Updated 26.2.2018: with opening month, cover numbers and further details on the food.
The JKS Restaurants group has form: The three siblings, Karam, Sunaina and Jyotin Sethi — together, are the trio behind Trishna, Gymkhana and Hoppers x 2, as well as backers of Kitchen Table, Bubbledogs, Lyle’s, BAO, XU and soon-to-open Sabor. Brigadiers will be the group’s next project, and will open in the Bloomberg Arcade in the City in May this year.
Here are five things to know about one of the most hotly-anticipated openings coming in the new year:
1. Where is it
At numbers 1 – 5 inside the city’s biggest new restaurant development, the Bloomberg Arcade, where already this year, Koya City, Bleecker, Vinoteca, Caravan and Ahi Poke.
2. What is it
A 140-cover (plus 34-cover terrace) Indian barbecue, beer, whisky, and live sport venue: In the operators’ words: “An Indian barbecue and beer tavern inspired by the army mess bars of India, where military regiments go to eat, drink and socialise.”
3. What’s on the menu
Centre around methods of Indian barbecue: tandoors, charcoal grills, rotisseries, wood ovens and classic Indian smokers. There will be four main sections to the menu:
- Beer Snacks, Nuts and Crisps
- Chhota Chatpata (fiery small plates)
- Anda (Egg), Offal, Roti, Rolls, Pav
- Madras mess mix; oysters saagafeller; chaat masala pork scratchings; smoked roe and fennel raita; cocktail pig cheek samosa; achari masala rump steak paratha roll; shellfish pakora pao; goat chapli and smoked bhuna goat bun kebab; The Brigadiers tandoori chicken club sandwich.
- Sizzlers and Roasts: mixed grills of kebabs, chops and tikka; feasting options of rotisserie ducks, wood-roasted suckling lambs and tandoori tomahawk steaks.
- Chargrilled bhopali goat chop korma; tandoori chicken chop dopiaza; awadhi wood roasted skate wing; dry masala rib eye steak; smoked Nepali bhutwa lamb ribs.
- Whole suckling lamb biryani will also be available for pre-order as part of a feasting menu.
4. And to drink
30 different beers — including JKS’ own specially commissioned session pale ale beer called 4th Rifles (a tropical citrus-y session pale ale) brewed in collaboration with the Thornbridge Brewery — and a large selection of whisky (perhaps to be dispensed from a whisky-soda trolley and split into four categories: smoky, delicate, light, and rich.) On-tap cocktails will include nitro espresso martini, and a “cask handpulled” Buffalo Trace old fashioned.
5. More details
There will be live sport shown in selected areas of the restaurant, one of the ways the operators hope to encourage a weekend trade when the City is typically quiet. A pool table and classic card games will be available for those so inclined. And slot machines plus arcade games have also been rumoured to be part of the plans.
To keep an eye on what’s happening, follow the restaurant at www.brigadierslondon.com before a first-look inside on Eater London in the spring next year.