- Today, the annual Good Food Guide is published by the supermarket Waitrose. Yes — another list. But one that has been called out of touch with the current restaurant scene in London. 15 restaurants in the the top 50 are in the capital, including, among others: Hedone (tick), Claude Bosi at Bibendum (tick), but then a host of restaurants that are dated, formal and Mayfair-centric, with much emphasis on Michelin stars as an indicator of good. Le Gavroche, Marcus Wareing, Ducasse at the Dorchester... — have a look at the complete list here and then refer to this guide or this guide to find out where to eat in London instead.
- Chef Angie Mar, executive chef at The Beatrice Inn in New York City, is cooking at Marylebone’s Carousel until 26 August. Mar trained with April Bloomfield at The Spotted Pig. 71 Blandford Street, London W1U 8AB
- Japanese food hall Japan Centre is moving its flagship site to Panton Street in Soho in mid-September, relocating from Shaftesbury Avenue. The new depachika — Japanese food hall — will be set around a central 100-cover dine-in courtyard. As well as the main food hall, the venue will have three specialist rooms dedicated to tea, sake and miso; open kitchens and a live demos. The company’s CEO, Tak Tokumine, also owns Shoryu Ramen, which has 10 sites in the UK and last year partnered with the Toridoll Holdings Corporation and sake manufacturer Gekkeikan to open Sakagura (on Heddon Street) with two-Michelin-starred chef Mitsuhiro Araki.
- The 108 Garage team are attempting to find the chef for their next venture, Southam Street, via the listings site, Gumtree. They were lucky first-time round when they secured, against the odds, the services of chef Chris Denney via that same site.
- Ewan Simpson has been named the new executive chef at Corinthia hotel’s, Northall restaurant, report The Caterer.
The Good Food Guide’s Not That Good — and More News
Five things to know from the world of food and restaurants in London today
The frostiest ice cream, the breeziest terraces, and the foods that just suit the sunshine