- A bar in Shoreditch has opened mocking the ostentatious penthouse of America’s Commander-in-Chief. Twumps Bar opened last night at the Rich Mix mixed-use arts space and will donate 50p from every drink sold to “one of our charities who, in their own way, combat the effects of the Trump administration.” Those drinks include a “Paris Deal Prosecco” and “Moscow Mule.” Find out more here. RICH MIX 35 – 47 Bethnal Green Road London E1 6LA.
- Frenchie, Greogory Marchand’s Covent Garden neo-bistro, is closing for a refurbishment. It will close on 28 August and reopen 12 September. 16 Henrietta Street WCE 8QH.
- Marco Pierre-White is opening/lending his name to a new restaurant in Whitechapel. Mr White’s English Chophouse will open inside the New Road Hotel. 103-107 New Rd, Whitechapel, London E1 1HJ.
- The Quo Vadis & Friends autumn/ winter 2017 schedule has been announced: Friday 15 September, El Pastór: mezcal and tacos. Tickets on public sale from Thursday 24 August, £64. Wednesday 18 October, 5 Easy Pieces: Collaboration between Jackson Boxer, Merlin Labron-Johnson, Tim Spedding and James Lowe and Jeremy Lee. Tickets available in September, £64. Wednesday 8 November, ‘La Grande Bouffe’ with Fergus and Margot Henderson will join Jeremy Lee for a dinner inspired by a film in which four friends rent a villa with the sole intent of gorging themselves to death on fine food and wine. Tickets available in October, £64.
- For one day only, Deliveroo are giving away free fries. August is a quiet month. And thus, Deliveroo have introduced, just for the day, Fry-Day. The nationwide initiative is offering a free portion of fries with every main dish ordered, until midnight tonight. with over 150 restaurants are taking part, including Tommi’s, Dirty Burger and Meatliquor.
Shoreditch Bar Ridiculing Trump’s Penthouse Opens — and More News
Plus openings, refurbs, events and free chips
The new "GBBO" series has left the COVID-19 bubble, but Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood aren’t going anywhere