Could Deliveroo take over grocery deliveries?
Morrisons could use Amazon and Deliveroo to fulfil grocery deliveries after loosening its ties with Ocado. The trade-off allows Ocado to reclaim badly needed warehouse space currently held for Morrisons groceries, after a fire last year caused a shortfall in the company’s logistical capacity. While Deliveroo has already partnered with Co-Op and smaller convenience stores to fulfil grocery orders, fulfilling larger supermarket orders could be another string to its bow as the London restaurant delivery market gets increasingly competitive, with Uber Eats and Just Eat one-upping each other with new features as often as possible. At present, Amazon’s logistical network is far better placed to take on large deliveries, but Deliveroo’s ability to fulfil small orders in cities on demand could give it a small, but significant advantage. [Guardian]
And in other news...
- Former defence secretary Gavin Williamson continued his time in funemployment by having lunch with George Osborne. The food influencer pivot grows ever closer.
- Posh crisp brand Kettle Chips could be sold by Campbell’s for up to £100 million. [Insider]
- Canna Kitchen in Brighton proclaims itself to be the U.K.’s first cannabis restaurant. Of course it got raided by the police. [Brighton and Hove News]
- Wetherspoons is making less profit because it has started paying workers liveable wages. Oh no. [Guardian]
- A man decided it was a reasonable and not at all problematic idea to swap out his partner’s non-dairy food for dairy without telling them and posted gleefully on Reddit about it. [Metro]
- Caffe Nero fired the first summer drinks trend shots by adding espresso and tonic to its menu; now Costa is adding strawberry to its cold brew. [Mirror]
- The Norwich house which may or may not have been secretly operating as a restaurant still has the restaurant sign up. [BBC]
- Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat star Samin Nosrat’s ode to green salad hides a serious tip for dressing within. [New York Times]
- Hash browns are the new toast. [Skillet]
- Good tweet: