Byron is the largest U.K. burger chain so far to use Beyond Meat
London burger chain Honest Burgers were early adopters, but Byron, with its 53 locations, is the most significant U.K. restaurant chain so far to introduce Beyond Meat’s bleeding vegan burger to its menu. Byron, which recently received £10 million of investment, has hired Sophie Michell as food director, and closed 19 restaurants after its finances collapsed, is bringing in ‘The Truffler’ and ‘Cali Cheese.’ The former offers truffle ‘cheese’ sauce alongside portobello mushroom, truffled vegan mayonnaise, crispy onions, and lettuce; the latter comprises vegan cheddar, roasted garlic vegan aioli, smoked tomato ketchup, red onion, pickle, and lettuce. It’s a marked improvement on the ill-fated, kind of weird ‘flexitarian’ burger that saw beef and mushroom combine; it also puts the restaurant group ahead of the likes of Gourmet Burger Kitchen, in a field where reticence to innovate has proved devastating. Time will tell if it will really be enough; it’s also a coup for Beyond Meat, getting ahead of Impossible Foods’ struggles to bring its burger based on plants to the U.K. [Plant Based News]
And in other news...
- The World’s 50 Best Restaurants index announced 70 restaurants that are not the world’s best — four from London made the back 70, with seven Michelin stars between them.
- Brewdog created a sexist beer and got sued by a sexist man on sexist grounds.
- Jamie Oliver’s career will be the subject of a new documentary.
- Munich-inspired beer hall Bierschenke will open a second site in Tower Hill, with plans to grow further in the coming months. [The Caterer]
- London specialty coffee shop Taylor Street Baristas is crowdfunding for £750,000 to boost plans for partnerships with Sodexo that would see 400 cafes open in the next five years. [Propel]
- Good tweet:
if another person reveals a new and convenient way of peeling another fruit or vegetable in another video i’m going to drive a car full speed into a fruit stand— your own personal jesus (@Kappa_Kappa) June 18, 2019