On Monday 12 April, restaurants, pubs, cafes and bars reopened for outdoor dining — subject to social distancing and the “rule of six” household mixing rules — after their third coronavirus lockdown. In the first week of gardens, terraces, and tables on streets, here’s how it went.
- First, a quick and clean explainer on The Covid Rules for outdoor dining from 12 April.
- As outdoor dining resumed in London, restaurants wanted to be clear that “the struggle is not over yet.” While the atmosphere is less fraught than December, this is not yet normality.
- And more and more restaurants are opening up for outdoor dining across the city.
- Openings and expansions are starting to snowball as the march of time allows plans to firm up, even in still testing conditions. One picture that’s emerging is landlords and operators alike betting safe, and one very safe bet is fried chicken. Korean chain Pelicana and London chain Wing Shack Co are both on an expansion hype.
- In a time of unprecedented upheaval, it can be worth pausing to reflect on the places that have quietly endured. One of London’s best bakeries, Tetote Factory, reached a decade of peerless baguettes and featherlight Japanese pan on South Ealing Road this week.
- In the biggest news of the week, Marks and Spencer is taking Aldi to court over its Colin the Caterpillar chocolate cake.
And now, the good stuff:
For dining out from 12 April...
- Where to eat outside in London.
- Where to eat outside in London... When it’s raining.
- Sunday roasts to eat al fresco, or finish at home.
- Outdoor slurping at London’s best ramen spots.
- The best places to eat near — or in — London parks.
- What London’s standout 38 restaurants are doing.
- The most exciting new restaurants in London right now.
- The most exciting pop-ups to check out.
- The best bakeries in London for takeaway pastries and bread.
- Where to drink the best coffee in the city.
And for dining in this weekend...
- How to ship a taste of London’s restaurants nationwide, with kits including suya, udon, and some world-famous butter chicken.
- And here are some condiments to put on them, or indeed anything else.
- Order from London’s best restaurants without the apps.
- The best restaurants for delivery and takeaway.
- The best meal kits from London restaurants.
Where to order takeaway and delivery in...